The Currentergy™ vision embraces a sustainable future that enables expansion of green power to an ever-expanding network of new and emerging energy users throughout the world. The Company’s experience has shown that newly electrified regions realize the highest economic growth on the planet. Currentergy™ fosters agile river and ocean-based hydropower technology, cultivating and supporting economic vitality and social stability for sustained growth in emerging economies worldwide.
The ORCAS™ system can also be deployed as a “Run of River” (ROR) solution to generate electricity. In ROR systems, running water is diverted from a river and guided down a channel, or penstock, which leads to a generating house. Within this generating house, the force of the moving water spins a turbine, which then drives a generator. Used water is fed back into the main river further downstream. It is important to note that the difference between run-of-river and large, conventional storage hydro is the absence of a reservoir or dam in the conventional platform. Run-of-River relies on coursing rivers to generate electricity, as opposed to stored water. Apart from the tremendous upfront costs and relatively adverse social and environmental impacts of designing and constructing dams, the ORCAS™ system can be deployed at multiple locations within the natural course of rivers to create multi-megawatt power generation. These deployments will minimize the impact on the environment and the inhabitants whose very survival depends on the natural flow of this precious source for their livelihoods and survival.
Currentergy™ deploys the ORCAS™ system, which is currently the most viable and innovative hydropower generation technology for enabling clean energy and flexibly deployed river and ocean-based power systems. The solution can be deployed using a combination of Compact Hydro Power and Hydraulic Turbine Technology:
- Compact Hydro for the ORCAS™ system will be based on pre-designed modular components. Compact Hydro offers a single source of supply for the entire electromechanical equipment, as well as workshop-tested units and shorter installation times.
- Hydro Turbines for the ORCAS™ system will produce renewable electricity by harnessing the volumes and flow of free-flowing rivers and water resources. The necessity for extensive civil work and dams is dependent on a site’s topography and geology.
Currentergy™ has been keen to remain environmentally friendly and impact free. The vertical and horizontal subsurface turbines do not destroy the ecological balance in the rivers in which they are deployed and are fish-friendly. Additionally, Hydro Turbine installation will generate local jobs during project development, installation, operation and maintenance, and will support a local labor base.
Currentergy™ realizes that many outdated hydropower plants are inefficient in producing their “true” generation capacity potential. Through the ORCAS™ system, Currentergy™ maximizes the true potential of natural hydro resources. The ever-evolving ORCAS™ system can also be deployed in the refurbishment of outdated and decommissioned hydro plants to boost their efficiency and add additional generation capacities, as well as be deployed to enhance specific components of outdated hydro power plants to maximize their utilization of the precious natural resources.
The refurbishment process includes and is not limited to:
• Expert support
The ORCAS™ system is deployed utilizing the following technology in collaboration with Andritz Hydro turbines:
• Compact Pelton Turbine
• Compact Axial Bulb belt drive Turbine
• Compact Axial Bevel Gear Drive Turbine
• Compact Pit Turbine
• Compact Kaplan Turbine
• Compact Bulb Turbine
• Compact Axial Turbine
• Compact Francis Turbine
The cornerstones upon which Currentergy™ will confidently, and without reservation, effectuate positive change for its clients are by and through the following:
Proven “Next Generation” Technology
• Commercially available, rigorously tested, and the latest high performance dynamic hydropower technologies
100% Green Technology
• The ORCAS™ system emits virtually zero emissions and is a significantly more efficient and reliable power-generating technology than competing alternatives. This revolutionary deployment strategy conserves fossil fuel resources that can be used in more efficient and innovative energy capturing processes